escapade semi-custom drawing
The newest warp on the countermarche loom is approximately 60% Egyptian cotton/40% cotton. It is a lively mix of sun-ripened colors that transition smoothly from light orange and coral through pinks and raspberries to burgundy, eggplant and navy - then folds into dark greens, bright turquoises and light greens. Complementary and contrasting colors are mixed into each section for a highly pinstriped, very colorful warp.
The sett is approximately 24 EPI. It has been threaded with an 8-shaft crackle draft. This is the same draft I used for the Hyacinth and Indigo v.1 wraps. The sample shown in the collage above is treadled "tromp as writ" - which means the sequence of treadling matches that of the threading. It is a process that requires greater focus. I was nervous to do this but have found that threading this draft a few times (with 800 threads each time) has allowed me to memorize the 148-thread sequence! So bring on the complex treadling! This treadling produces a large-scale, complex pattern that is so intriguing and delicately lacey. It also has a pleasingly nubby texture. The selvedges on this larger-scale pattern will be scalloped in a similar way as the smaller scale pattern, though it may have longer floats. If these will cause any difficulty, I can hem the rails. The finished width before hemming will be 28".
I am holding a drawing for semi-custom slots on the warp and will offer as many as the warp length permits. I have approximately 45 finished meters available - with 5 meters presently claimed. The maximum length per entry is 5.2 meters. Wefts may be selected from those below, though other options may also be available.
Shown below are some cotton and Egyptian cotton weft choices. A sample piece was woven with blues, purples and "reds" - in addition to natural and black - as these tend to work best with the colors of the warp. The very bottom of the woven sample in the photo below shows natural Egyptian cotton. If you like how the natural yarn works with the weft, there are many fiber choices: super-fine Australian organic merino wool, Pima cotton, 40% hemp/60% cotton, 70% silk/30% sea cell, mulberry silk, tussah silk and 65% silk/35% linen. Additional fiber choices in colored yarns are shown further down the page.
I have a selection of super-fine wefts, including super-wash lambswool merino, 50% merino/50% silk and Australian organic merino wool. Colors I have in-stock are shown below. Additional colors may be available.
Below is a selection of variegated weft yarns I have chosen that pair well with the warp. Two were hand-dyed by me, the others by talented artisans. Additional colors may be available.
Finally, I sampled the warp with this pretty dark blue-green Tsumugi silk.
Weft fiber choices and prices
- Cotton weft $105/meter - available colors shown in the weft sample.
- 40% hemp/60% cotton in natural* - $105/meter - add flat fee of $75 for colors I have hand-dyed, as shown in the weft sample.
- Egyptian cotton, mercerized cotton or organic cotton $110/meter - available colors shown in the weft sample. Egyptian cotton in natural* is also an option.
- 10/2 Organic Pima cotton in natural* $120/meter.
- Jaggerspun Super Lamb superwash merino lambswool $120/meter - available colors shown in the weft sample. Special order colors may be chosen. You may find a selection of colors here.
- Jaggerspun Zephyr 50% silk/50% merino $120/meter - available colors shown in the weft sample. Special order colors may be chosen. You may find a selection of colors here.
- Tsumugi silk in deep green-blue $125/meter
- 65% linen/35% silk, mulberry silk or tussah silk in natural* $135/meter
- 70% silk/30% sea cell in natural or dyed $140/meter - Amethyst is in stock and shown in the weft sample. Special order colors may be chosen. You may find a selection of colorways here.
- Australian organic merino wool in natural or black $140/meter
- Madeline Tosh lace-weight superwash wool or Phydeaux 80% superfine merino/20% silk $140/meter - available colorways shown in the weft sample. Please note these yarns are available in limited quantities and may limit the length wrap made with these yarns.
*Natural yarns marked with an asterisk may be hand-dyed by me for an additional fee of $75.
To enter the drawing, please complete the form below. Drawing is limited to one entry per person. I will randomly select entries on Wednesday, August 17 around 12 PM Pacific. Winners of the drawing will be notified by email. Wefts that are available in limited quantities will be assigned in the order that entries are selected. I will contact everyone whose entry is selected and - in cases where the weft has already been assigned - give you an opportunity to select an alternate weft, if necessary. For anyone at a complete loss with regards to weft color choice, I can send the weft sample piece to help you in making your selection. A non-refundable deposit of 10% of the estimated cost of your wrap is required when I am ready to begin your portion. Special order yarns will require payment for the yarn up front. Full payment for the wrap will be due upon completion - which is estimated to be within 6-8 weeks. Please add approximately 5 weeks to this estimate for special order or hand-dyed yarn.
THIS DRAWING IS NOW CLOSED